I get asked about starting a blog all the time! It is probably my most asked question. Since I get emails and messages about it pretty frequently, I decided I would just write a post on it. Now, I am obviously not the world’s best blogger…but I have learned a lot along this journey so I thought I’d share some of my top tips!
1. My #1 top tip for starting a blog is…JUST DO IT! Seriously! Go for it! I am forever grateful that I started mine because I can look back on things like meeting my sister for the first time or planning our wedding. When I first started my blog, it was for personal reasons and because I was bored and wanted something to do. I have always loved to write and take pictures so obviously blogging was a perfect fit! I have been fortunate enough to make some money along the way…but I would still do it even if I never made a cent! (And I did for years!)
2. Blogger vs. WordPress. It seems like these are the top two platforms to start a blog on. I use blogger and I really love it…but I know of a lot of people that swear by WordPress. My advice to you is just do some research and see what would be the best fit! You can’t go wrong with either!
3. Choose a name wisely! If you have been around for a while then you’ll know that my blog started out as Krista Mae’s Healthy Ways. This was great at the time because I was really passionate about health and fitness and wanted to share all of my tips for living a healthy life! Well…things have since changed and although I still occasionally share health tips, that’s not what I want my blog to primarily focus on. I decided to change my blog to just my name so that I could write about anything I wanted and not have to feel like I needed to focus on just one thing. The process of changing my blog name was stressful, exhausting, frustrating and brought lots of tears! I almost gave up completely!! So, take it from me and CHOOSE WISELY!!!
4. Pay for a domain name. When you start a free blog, it will usually end in .blogspot.com or .wordpress.com. This doesn’t look professional and is just kind of annoying. I purchased my domain name through GoDaddy and I think it’s around $15 a year. (Only about 4 Starbucks!! Lol) It’s definitely worth it in my opinion.
5. Google everything! Google will be your best friend. If I am wondering how to do something (like add social media buttons), I’ll just google it! Usually there will be tons of posts on that exact thing and I’ll be able to just teach myself. OR if you see something on another blog that you like…just ask the blogger! You’ll be surprised to find how many bloggers will get back to you right away with an answer! I have also learned that this blogging community is super friendly for the most part…so don’t be afraid to ask!
6. Be yourself and don’t be afraid to share your posts! When I first started blogging, I was super nervous to even tell anyone I was doing it! I don’t think I shared a post on Facebook for a couple of years!! I think this really set me back in growing my blog…so don’t do what I did. It’s hard sometimes because putting your work out into the world takes vulnerability and it’s really hard for me to be vulnerable at times…but that’s something I’m working on! Don’t be afraid! Share, share, share!
7. Don’t go into it for the money. If you start a blog solely to make money…you never will. Blogging is hard work! You need to have a passion for it or people will see right through you. And because I know someone will ask…the money usually comes from sponsored posts and affiliate links.
That is all I can think of right now. If you guys like this sort of post, let me know and maybe I can do some more.
Also, if you have any other specific questions about starting a blog, don’t hesitate to ask! Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or comment below!
Thanks for reading!
PS If you found this helpful, please pin and share it!!